Monday, June 20, 2011

Text Etiquette for the Text Generation

There is nothing more rude and annoying than speaking to someone who is not listening to you (or only catching a few words) because they are too busy texting.  I love technology as much as the next person, in fact I would go so far as to say my husband and I are technology buffs. However, what can be so important that you can't put the phone aside to have a normal conversation with the person that's in front of you? I find this to be a common thread amongst Blackberry owners. I have nothing against Blackberries albeit I don't own one, but I enjoy my SmartPhone.  I talk, I text, take pics and record and enjoy sharing them with friends and family. I do however observe cellphone talk and text etiquette.

Image: Andy Newson / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
More often than not, the conversations these individuals are having are not important, people are usually gossiping or sending jokes. As a business person, I understand the need to use these forms of communication to stay abreast of trends, but I don't understand how a simple request for milk turns into a half hour conversation when you are already conversing with someone. Unfortunately, what this has created is a generation and generations to come of people with very poor communication skills. The inability to make eye contact and certain forms of anxiety are some of the resulting side effects of this "text generation".

Feel free to talk, text, etc. but be aware of your surroundings and practice courtesy to those with whom you are spending time. Put the phone down! MM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails